Mar 31, 2018

Humble Napoleonic Ottoman beginnings

I don't know much about the Ottoman army in the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, I only have one Osprey and Rothenberg's book on the complete history of the age, plus the bits of information gathered here and there. 
What I do know is that it was still a rather exotic-looking army, which is always good compared to the sometimes boring European forces, and that they could fight the Russians, Austrians and obviously the French. 
So here's my list of purchases so far, which will trickle in the coming weeks as the great army gathers:

Italeri Mamelukes- got a bunch of them for 4 Euros. From a complete set, I can make two 6-figure units and a smaller one (I think I have a spare mameluke somewhere, so make it 3). The horse furniture is not entirely OK, but can be overlooked.

HäT Union Zouaves - an older set I got for 8 Euros from Italy, they are good for light infantry "as is", or with minor conversion work they can easily become Nizam i Cedid infantry. 48 figures, three units' worth.

HäT Taaishi Camelry - these are originally meant for the Mahdist rebellion a century later, but the dress does not look out of place, and they have weapon options (as far as I can tell from PSR, they have jezails and not modern rifles, so I can even use those). 12 figures, worth two units of "horse".

RedBox Eyalet infantry - for the more irregular parts of the army. I checked the Mars Tufekci as well, but found them lacking. 34 figures, two or three units (I can add command figures from elsewhere and make groups of 12 in skirmish order).

RedBox Akinci - for the irregular cavalry. 12 figures, two units.


This is the stuff bought so far. I'll get the Zvezda Janissaries, which look a bit archaic for the 19th century with their hats and matchlocks, but at least they will increase the ranks nicely. I'm not sure about artillery, perhaps I'll get the RedBox set, or simply convert some Janissaries (I'll use only 36 figures out of 43) and use some older 17th century artillery pieces with them.

I have the Esci Muslim Warriors set, and while I mostly used them for skirmish games, I won't need all fifty on single bases, so I might just update their paintjob and use them as irregulars (although some clearly have bolt action rifles, which is not that good).

I'm also eyeing the Hagen Miniatures line of 1/72 metallic figures, perhaps later in the month (or after I find out that I have enough money for a car).


4 comments:

  1. Will definately look colourfull. The esci set. The one kneeling with the bolt Action rifle. Cut him in half and add the top half from the one Standing with the musket. I think I did a similar Thing with them a Long time ago.
    All the best with the driving test :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, the only problem is... they are already painted :D

      Delete
  2. There are some information links on my blog "Advancing in a Different Direction" (fenrys1602.blogspot - or something similar) that you might find useful. Not at home so cannot check details - Twmas Morgan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is a really great source of information.

      Delete